Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Québec, City, pop 48 930 (2006c), 48 206 (2001c), inc 1960. Dollard-des-Ormeaux is located on the northwest side of the Île de Montréal, near the Rivière des Prairies. It is enclosed by the municipalities of Pierrefonds, Roxboro, St-Laurent, Kirkland, Pointe Claire and Dorval.
The territory that would become Dollard-des-Ormeaux was originally part of the Parish of Ste-Geneviève, founded in 1741. This parish suffered a series of divisions. Dollard-des-Ormeaux became a distinct municipality after the decision by the parish to impose a tax for road improvements. It received the name Dollard-des-Ormeaux on the advice of a notary named Ernest Jasmin. He felt the resident's fiery spirit matched the character of the historical figure, Adam Daulac, also known as DOLLARD-DES-ORMEAUX
In 1924, it officially became the village municipality of Dollard-des-Ormeaux. In 1960, Dollard-des-Ormeaux became a town and joined the Montréal Urban Community in 1970.
Dollard-des-Ormeaux began to develop as a residential suburb of Montréal in the 1960s. In 1961, there were a total of 1800 residents. Ten years later the population had grown to 25 000. The bulk of the land, 77%, is for residential construction. Most people commute each day to downtown Montréal, only a few minutes away.