The first settlers arrived about 1730, followed by the Melanson family to Fox Creek in 1746 and the LeBlanc and Boudreau families to Chartersville in 1776. The area was first known as French Village, then Léger Corner. Incorporated as a village in 1920, it took its current name in 1946 to honour the servicemen who took part in the DIEPPE RAID of World War II.
Dieppe has shown an outstanding growth rate in the last few decades. The city is a suburban community in the Greater Moncton region. It is the site of a regional shopping centre and a growing industrial park. Industries include the manufacture of paper products and construction equipment and the processing and packaging of food products.
Dieppe has a French campus of New Brunswick Community College and a flight-training school. Although the province is officially bilingual, most of the population is not; this city is remarkable in that around three-quarters of the population speaks both languages.
Illustrative of its newly acquired city status, the city's administration has been working to create a downtown core of its own along its busiest intersection, Léger Corner. Dieppe co-hosts with Moncton the Festival international du cinéma francophone en Acadie and is home to the Chocolate River Conservatory of Music.
Author BURTON GLENDENNING Rev: GUY VINCENT
Links to Other Sites
Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce
The website for the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce. A great source for news about the local business community, municipal services, and community events.
The official website for the historic City of Dieppe.
Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce
The website for the Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce (APCC), formerly the Maritime Board of Trade. Formed in 1896, this organization promotes and supports business and economic development in Atlantic Canada. Click on "Chambers" for links to local Chambers of Commerce.