Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton, was built 1845-53 to the neo-Gothic plans of British architects Frank Wills and William Butterfield, in collaboration with John MEDLEY
, first Anglican bishop of Fredericton. In its cruciform plan, central tower, 3-sided porch and huge west window, it was the first Canadian building to follow closely the ideal of the Ecclesiological Society, a reformist movement of the Anglican Church which sought a return to the architecture of the Middle Ages. The cathedral is distinguished by its nave and side aisles oriented to the choir. Each part of the interior is visible from the exterior and has different roofing.
See also RELIGIOUS BUILDING.
Christ Church Cathedral
Façade of the famous church in Fredericton, New Brunswick (courtesy Parks, Heritage Recording Service).