At first called Sackville when established as a fort in 1749 to keep open the overland route to Minas and to protect against Native raids, it took its present name in 1856 when the Nova Scotia Railway (later the Intercolonial) built a station in the area. With access to Halifax, Bedford grew as a summer resort area and dormitory suburb. Some small industries in the 19th century used local power, including Moirs, the confectioners, but the town's real growth came after 1961 as people sought its suburban location away from built-up Halifax. It was incorporated as a town in 1980 but lost this status when it was amalgamated into the Halifax Regional Municipality in 1996.
Author L.D. MCCANN
Links to Other Sites
Information about Bedford, part of the Halifax Regional Municipality.
The official website for the Halifax Regional Municipality in Nova Scotia. Features information about the many heritage and cultural attractions located in this historic coastal city.
Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce
The website for the Atlantic Provinces Chambers of Commerce (APCC), formerly the Maritime Board of Trade. Formed in 1896, this organization promotes and supports business and economic development in Atlantic Canada. Click on "Chambers" for links to local Chambers of Commerce.
Nova Scotia: Community Profiles
Search for statistical profiles of communities in the Province of Nova Scotia.