In 1905 a rail line finally reached the area, but the Canadian Northern Railway had chosen to bypass Battleford, an event that eventually led to the creation of the adjacent community of NORTH BATTLEFORD. Battleford prospered as a government centre for land title registration, a judicial district and an Indian Affairs office, but never fulfilled its earlier expectations. The legacy of the days before it was stripped of its "capital" status has been preserved in FORT BATTLEFORD, a national historic site, Government House and other historic buildings. Today Battleford and North Battleford, with a combined population of 17 987 (1996c), form a service centre for the surrounding region, which depends largely on agriculture, oil and natural gas development, manufacturing and tourism.
Author MARK RASMUSSEN
Links to Other Sites
Fort Battleford National Historic Site
This Parks Canada site commemorates the 1876 North West Mounted Police headquarters in Battleford, Saskatchewan. Includes detailed notes about Big Bear, Poundmaker, the Cree, Sir Frederick Dobson Middleton, North-West Rebellion, the Battle of Cut Knife, and related topics.
Main Street, Saskatchewan
Take a stroll down Main Street, Saskatchewan. This extensive compilation of photographs and other archival material highlights more than a century of Saskatchewan history. Search the Saskatchewan Archival Information Network or browse the Virtual Displays and the Town List. Produced by the Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists.