The river is named for Sir George BACK, who first explored it in 1834. The original name was Thlew-ee-choh, likely Dogrib for "great fish river." Back named the lakes after Sir John Henry Pelly and Nicholas Garry, governor and deputy governor of the Hudson's Bay Company, and his friend Lieutenant-Colonel Macdougall of the 79th Highlanders.
Author JAMES MARSH
Shawnadithit grew anxious waiting for her uncle, Longnon, to return to camp at the junction of Badger Brook and the Exploits River, deep in the wilds of Newfoundland...