Schubert Choir (Brantford). Mixed ensemble of from 100 to 150 voices, formed in Brantford, Ont, as an enlargement of the Brantford Male Choir and active 1906-41. Its conductor was Henri K. Jordan, except during his war service, 1914-20, when he was replaced by Clifford Higgin. The choir specialized in short works, unaccompanied and accompanied, of the 19th and early 20th centuries. It rapidly gained public favour, giving one or two concerts a year, sometimes with a visiting orchestra (Pittsburgh 1909, Welsman's TSO 1910, TSO 1926, 1928, Boston Festival Orchestral Club 1912, the Little Symphony of New York 1922, 1936) or a guest artist (Richard Crooks 1923, Percy Grainger 1933, 1937).
After a late-April concert in 1928 the Toronto Globe's critic Lawrence Mason judged the Schubert Choir the best mixed ensemble in Canada next to the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir. The same critic, after a concert 30 Apr 1930, praised the 'finished ensemble work and assured responsiveness to Mr. Jordan's magnetic leading.' As the result of a triumphant Massey Hall performance in November 1928 in Toronto, the choir was invited to sing in July 1929 at the National Eisteddfod of America in Scranton, Pa, where it won the first prize for large choirs in competition with three US groups. In 1939 Olin Downes, on behalf of the New York World's Fair, invited the choir to sing 25 July at the fair. The previous night, the choir appeared at St Thomas Church, New York City. Howard Taubman of the New York Times was lavish in his praise of its 'fine-grained pianissimo' and many other features, ranking it with 'our well-known ensembles.' The aging Jordan conducted the choir's last public concert 23 Apr 1941 in Brantford and a private concert 18 Nov 1941. On his retirement the Schubert Choir was dissolved.