Algoma University College, SAULT STE MARIE, Ont, was established in 1967 as an affiliate of LAURENTIAN UNIVERSITY. The campus is constructed around a fine old building that originally housed the Shingwauk Indian RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL. Founded in 1873 by Augustine Shingwauk (1800-90), Chief of the Garden River OJIBWA, and by the Reverend E.F. Wilson (1844-1915), an Anglican missionary, the school owed its existence to Augustine's father, SHINGUACÖUSE, who had envisioned a "Teaching Wigwam" for his people.
Algoma offers a liberal arts curriculum as well as undergraduate business and social welfare programs, priding itself on small classes and individual development. It offers one masters degree - the Master of Science in Computer Games Technology. The aboriginal heritage of the site remains an integral part of Algoma's academic life, leading to encouragement of cross-cultural education and representation of aboriginal people on the faculty, staff and board of governors. A large number of Algoma students have First Nations backgrounds. Algoma also offers co-op education, a dynamic conservatory of music, and a cross-border fine arts program. A new library, residence and athletic centre have accompanied recent growth.
Algoma's motto is "truth, knowledge and wisdom." Its colours are red, green and gold